Many people misunderstand and misuse between marketing and advertisement. Let think about Marketing simply but clearly!
Uhm… What is Marketing?
“Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large. “ _ American Marketing Association (Approved July 2013)
After reading the above definition, if you are not a professional marketer, it seems that marketing becomes more vague and confused. So, to understand marketing easily, let try mine:
“ Marketing is to help your products or services go to the market successfully.”
A market is where you have customers or target customers. It can be anywhere. But be careful, you need to choose the market or markets actively and subjectively.
The suffixing here means an action or several actions. Depending on your product or service, your blueprint can be short or very long. You can sell your products to other companies (B2B model), or through distributors to go to many retailers or end-users (B2C model). In any case, you need to pay attention to all processes until it reaches the end-users to make sure that your brand is perceived as a whole.
Wow, it seems that marketing involves everything
Yes, it’s true. Marketing can involve from raw materials to packaging, from product features to distribution and display, from pricing to sales promotion. And that is a reason why marketing is far from advertisement. In fact, the advertisement is just a step in a marketing process. Marketing is who you are, an entity with true and unchanged values; the advertisement is how to make the customers know who you are.
Advertisement can go by many media. It can be an article, an image, a message, etc. Advertisers will help you deliver the message in a beautiful way, far and wide. But the content of the message, the meaning inside, is from your marketing strategy.
Don’t worry, Marketing is simply
In this digital age, you can do marketing simply than ever before. Information is accessible. Service is comparative. All tools are user-friendly and ready-to-use. So, if you are ready to start, let go.
- If you are a business owner, the most important thing you need to carry out is your business plan, your vision, what you want to be. If you are working for a company, you must know your company vision, mission, values, and strategies. If you are learning marketing, find the company that you are interested in the most, then find the information on their website.
- Write marketing plan in line with the business strategy. How? Define the values of the company and the product that you wish to build brand up. It is a root of your evergreen marketing tree.
- Think of a description of your brand: word, image, music, color, fragrant, etc. All elements can affect human senses make sense to customers’ perception. To make it simple, I use “brand message” for whatever you choose to represent your brand.
- According to your resource of finance, time, human resource, you can think of the way you want to deliver the brand message to your customers. Try to cover widely free and low-paid digital channels such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, Blog, Google SEO for your website, etc.
- Remember that you need to build a consistent and unique image to your brand. So choose the message carefully and go firmly with it. Your brand tree will grow and you can get its fruits soon!